Wednesday, October 8, 2008

New Orleans 2008

It was a fantastic time! I will admit I almost started to miss the kids a little by day 2, honestly I was more worried that they wouldn't get to where they were supposed to be but obviously their grandparents are perfectly capable of handling a little running around. It was good to get away hang out with some friends we don't to see very often and just relax with each other. Brandon and I are coming up on our 9 year wedding anniversary which probably means we've been together at least 11 years but neither one of us are very good at math so who knows what's actually true?

On to New Orleans...

Day 1
We arrived a full day after the other couples we were meeting so by the time we checked into our hotel around noon on Friday they were ready to hit Bourbon street and begin our unofficial pub crawl lead by our fabulous unofficial Tour Guide Mr. Ribble. On Bourbon this takes on a whole new meaning.. There are NO open container laws so basically you can just grab a beer or cocktail to go and be on your merry way to the next bar. We started out sort of in the middle of the street and made our way down through the gay district to what is supposed to be one of the oldest bars in America then we made our way back up the street stopping along the way for food, lots of drinks and Purdue Beads! By this time it was getting a little dark and we were scheduled to go on a Vampire tour that evening so we collectively decided that food was probably a good idea before setting out on a two hour walking tour. Our restaurant choice was the Acme Oyster house to sit for a while and enjoy some Louisiana specialties.. Yum! The Vampire tour was very cool a little more "theatrical" then I thought it would be but I'm so glad we did it. Afterwards we sat for a bit while the boys tried some Absinthe and afterwards we stopped off at possibly one of the worst nudie bars in the world, then it was time for BED! At the conclusion of day one we were worn out! Close to 12 hours of New Orleans on 5 hours of sleep was fun but we crashed fast.

Day 2
Started off with Brandon and I taking a walk to the French Market to find some souvenirs and FOOD! The Market is totally fun, lots of Cheesy stuff it kind of reminded me of Shipshewana only New Orleans style! There was also some pretty cool little places to eat and lots of live music. We walked a lot and finally decided to eat at Jimmy Buffets honestly because it looked like the least wait.. it was good food and a New Orleans spin on the menu made it pretty interesting. By that time our friends were calling us to meet up with the group at Razoo's on Bourbon and cheer on the Boilers! Not sure if anyone noticed but they ended up getting their butts kicked by Notre Dame! The evening gets a bit fuzzy from here but I believe we ate at someplace sort of out of the way and laid back. Then headed out to get our Tarot Cards and Fortunes Read. Our Fortune Teller was about the most bogus guy ever "Jeffery" was really funny! We coughed up $35 because he kept us laughing for a good 45minutes, Although we never learned what our "fates" would be. The evening concluded with more pub hopping and a nice little trip to the grocery store and some relaxation time in the Court Yard of Place D'Armes.

Day 3
Let the Good times Roll! Brandon and I headed out this morning in search of Beinees better known as Fried Doughnuts at the French Market, We also attended Mass at the Basilica in hopes of resolving some of our sins from the debokory of the weekend. It was a beautiful service possibly one of the highlights of the trip for me. After mass we wished our friends a Safe Trip home and began our hike to the WW2 D-day museum. This is not a recommended WALK.. smart tourist would hope on the St. Charles Street Trolley but we figured no one would mug us on a Sunday and we needed some fresh air and exercise. The museum was nice but after seeing about a zillion pictures of casualties I was more then ready to leave it was putting a serious downer on my vacation! Ok for the trip back to Bourbon we hopped on the St. Charles Trolley and headed through the Garden District All the up the Line and Back it was really neat to see that part of the city but a LONG ride. By the time we returned to Bourbon we were STARVING! But still had a little time to stop at the Hustler Store which I would recommend it was really cool! That night we stopped at a BBQ place and ordered the feast for two which we ate possibly a third of it was enormous. We then took the left overs to our hotel and decided to do one last pub crawl before heading back home. While sitting on the balcony of a bar on about my 3rd huge beer, we met another couple who was also out on their own. They were veterans and decided to invite us along for some pub crawling. It was super fun but what little I had of that super platter for dinner found its way back up later that night. I can't say for sure what happened all I know is we managed to end up with TONs of beads? What happens in New Orleans stays in New Orleans I guess?!?!?

Well that's it we're glad we went and glad to be home. Brandon is ready to go back again but I think I wouldn't be sad if we didn't? There are much less stinky places on my "must see" list :o)

1 comment:

Krista said...

Good to hear all of the details of your trip! We'll have to travel together again one of these days...

I miss you!